Shared services and components
Both within the government and external to the government, efforts are underway to allow agencies to share components as they move toward a Service Oriented Architecture.
Baseline definition of Shared services
- Definition of a shared services center (SSC).
- Shared Services Research Documents
- Enterprise Architecture is key for the development of government shared service centers because agencies need to take a standardized approach to such services, and the way data is imported, or the way service components interact.
- Understanding the details of what is included under IT Services. (this section is in development.)
- ASP (application service provider)
- BSP (business service provider)
- CSP (commerce service provider)
- Internet service provider
- Managed security service provider
- Managed-service provider
- Management service provider
- Network service provider
- External service provider
- Storage service provider
- Wireless application service provider
- Wireless Internet service provider
IT Componet Sharing
- One high-profile effort (that has not yet taken off in a big way) is CORE.gov. The idea behind CORE.gov is to allow agencies to share software components
- ET.gov (for emerging technologies) is evolving as a solid repository for reusable components created by or for government computer systems. It has a good search interface to help developers search for specific components and integrated solutions.
- Another interesting effort is salesforce.com. This organization has created a repository where government agencies, and those who work with government agencies, can share components that are useful for government business. View all industries, including public sector.
- OSOA.org is the Open SOA Collaboration, which represents an informal group of industry leaders that share a common interest: defining a language-neutral programming model that meets the needs of enterprise developers, specifically those who develop software that can use Service Oriented Architecture characteristics and benefits.
- COLAB at USA Services. This is a collaborative work environment
hosted by GSA Intergovernmental Solutions that includes a collaboration wiki and a software repository.